Friday, February 6, 2009

TOUCHDOWN!!!!

Compartir
Soccer is the most popular sport here in Mexico, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy a nice evening with a good game of football. And that's exactly what we did on Superbowl Sunday.
First let me tell you about the last Superbowl....I was already a vegetarian but I didn't cook much so the only thing I ate that evening was nuts and some potato chips, I know, it was awful.
So this year, I decided to go all out. How? I cooked everything that I thought would make for a great Superbowl party.
We had invited some friends that day to watch the game, so I started cooking since 1 pm. I was very excited to have guest over because is always a great opportunity to present vegan food to people, but at the same time I was nervous because I didn't want to screw up and make some horrible dish that would represent veganism. So I really put in the effort.

I don't know a thing about football but I like all the preparations for the get together with friends. I had a great time cooking and of course, eating.
Here's some of the things I did for the Superbowl party.

Let see...
On the back there's regular potato chips and nuts (all vegan of course)
Then we have a vegan carrot cake, vegan tuna brusquetas, vegan stuffed mushrooms, corn chips with salsa, vegan corn bread muffins (for the chili that isn't in the picture)......and it the middle, vegan peanut butter football cookies. Aren't they cute?!

And that's why I'm here, I want to share the recipe for the football cookies with you. They were a big hit on the Superbowl party...oh, and did I mention that everything disappeared!! Everyone loved the food! I was so happy...okay, I'm still happy haha. I just love when people eat something and then they turn to me and say "Is this really vegan?" Hahaha, that's the best and makes cooking so worth it. The chili also disappeared, I made it for my sister and me because my Dad was making an "omnivore's" chili for the guests and for my mom and him, so I was thinking that my sister and I were going to have leftovers throughout the week...but oh no! They finished it all, and I'm very happy they did.


Here's my sister scoring a touchdown...it is a touchdown? Right?
Let's get right to the recipe now....this recipe works with whatever shape you want to, so don't just do them on the Superbowl. They are great for every occasion...or just for munching in the middle of the night.

3/4 C. brown sugar
3/4 C. margarine (I used Earth Balance buttery sticks)
1/2 C. peanut butter
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 C. all purpose flour
1 C. dark chocolate candy melts

Cream softened margarine, sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla extract. Add the flour until well combined into a stiff dough. Roll into balls and shape into footballs by tapering the ends a bit. Place onto parchment lined or non-stick cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 12-15minutes or until bottoms are deep golden. Let cool before dipping.

Melt the chocolate as directed on the package in a microwave or double boiler. Carefully dip each cookie to coat the bottoms and place onto a cool, parchment lined cookie sheet. With a butter knife, draw the "football stitches" onto the cookies.


Ahora en español.


3/4 Taza de azucar cafe o morena.
3/4 taza de margarina (checa que sea vegan...la mayoria son)
1/2 taza de crema de cacahuate
2 cucharaditas de vainilla
2 tazas de harina
1 chocolate vegan (se que es dificil encontrar chocolate vegan en Mexico, pero un chocolate de esos amargos funcionara...esos si son vegan y los encuentras en cualquier supermercado), 3 cucharadas de azucar, 1/4 de taza de leche de soya.

Bate la margarina, el azucar, la crema de cacahuate y la vainilla. Agrega lentamente la harina hasta que este todo mezclado. Se va a convertir en una masa un poco pesada. Forma pequeños balonsitos o cualquier forma que desees. Estas galletas no se expanden ni crecen casi nada asi que no te procupes por tu forma. Mete en un horno a 150 ºC por 12-15 minutos. Cuando las saques lo mas seguro es que aun este suaves, no te procupes cuando se enfrien se volveran mas duritas.
En un sarten, agrega la leche de soya hasta que se caliente un poco, ve agregando lentamente el chocolate en trozos, y mezcla con una cuchara hasta que se derrita, agrega la azucar y sigue mezclando. Cuando las galletas esten frias dipea la parte de abajo de la galleta en el chocolate y deja enfriar. Cuando esten frias vuelve a tomar y dibuja con un palillo o algo las rallitas de los balonsitos con chocolate. Asi de facil!!!! Deja enfriar antes de comer.

Espero que se animen a hacerlas porque enserio que valen la pena.

So, yep. The 2009 Superbowl was the best until now for me...I'm already exited for the next one, my mind is already flying with ideas for the next year's menu....but sadly, it will all have to wait a whole year. Hahaha...
Please share with me what you did for the superbowl.


"Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty."
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel Prize 1921

No comments: